HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - coyote hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 07:46 AM
duckdog132
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyote hunting

best time night(from wha im told) but i always hunt twilight and dusk periods of the day as a general rule. the wid is what keeps me in or out of the woods though. if i have more than a 10-15 mi/hr winds its almost pointless to call and so i dont even bother. as far as bait, anything dead works. we have a hog confinement and with 2500 head of hogs going through every3 mothsits not uncomon to get a sick one that dies so i just use them. another is dead calves and farms dont have any use for them and would be happy to give you as many as they got. just go the the closest farmer and ask. hunting stands isnt a real god idea for coyote hunting if you are going to be calling unless you have a e caller that you can set on the ground. coyotes can pick up on where the sound is comming from and will spot you before you even see him. hunting over bait works good from stands though. another reaosn i dont like stands is i only stay in one area for a max of 25 minutes when calling and then i move on to the next destination. having to climb up and down all the time would get old and a stand limits you to where you can set up. these are all JMO's and im sure other will chip in but here is a start for you

Jeff S.