HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hevi Shot and such,am I missing something?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
maytom
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hevi Shot and such,am I missing something?

ORIGINAL: Ifly

I personally don't get a thrill at shooting them way off, I like to get them up to 30 to 35yds. If I can't I figure I couldn't call him in and he wins.
Let me clarify myself Ifly.

Like you, I love to try and call them in to the 25-35 yard range on every hunt!! But, we all know, birds hang up sometimes at 35-45 yards for no reason. It's nice knowing that your gun can cleanly take them at that range. The name of the game here folks is taking, killing, or harvesting a nice gobbler.Each one of usowes it to ourselves and the bird to be equiped with the proper gun and ammo while out there hunting. How many people actually never even bother to pattern their guns, and just use what ever choke tube that's in their gun and garb some regular field loads!! Then blame their equipment when they miss or worse, cripple a bird and it gets away. Trust me, there are people out there like that!! I pride myself on getting out of this sport what I put into it. I pass on all jakes, and try to "cleanly kill"a dandy tom each year. This is just a restriction that I placed on myself each spring season. It lengthens my spring season, instead of ending it within the first few days with a jake or two!!