HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Inlines
Thread: Inlines
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Inlines

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

No scope and fast twist on traditional. To me it doese not fit. Scopes on muzzleloader are illegal in CO.
Fast twist on traditional rifles was far more common then you might think. When the first rifles came over from Europe to American, a common rifle used was alarge heavy stocked rifle called the Jaeger Rifle which was often found with a 1-24 twist barrel. They shot roundball out of them by loading them very light. After all powder was hard to come by back then and heavy charges were not generally used.

You also got into some of the long range traditional rifles like the Gibbs with a 1-18 twist. The Wentworth which was a favorite sniper rifle in the Civil War used by both sides, then the Creedmore, the Tyron (although some consider the Tyron and the Creedmore the same rifle)which often in .45 caliber sported a 1-21 twist. Later, but still considered traditional over inline you had the Sharps rifle, Sharps Carbine, the Rolling Block rifle. Of course the Sharps and Rolling Block came towards the end of the Civil War and were used by Snipers and special units to effectively take the enemy out at long distances and demoralize them on the battle fields by picking them off after they felt they were a "safe distance" from the firing line.

Most of these did not have scopes, and records of their accuracy are still strived to be matched to this current day with similar equipment. For that reason, I suggested a fast twist barrel on your Renegade. I have not tried conicals in my Stainless Steel rifle yet. That will come when I get some distance on the range, as I expect almost any projectile to group somewhat well at close range.

If you take the scope of inline rifles, many of the current inline owners would be very restricted as to what distance they would be willing to shoot. It is all a matter of, if you can't see it and get a sight picture on it, you can't shoot it. The most accurate open sighted rifle I have is a traditional rifle in .58 caliber that shoots roundball of all things. Although I think my Knight Disc might be giving it a run for the money now that I am figuring that barrel out more and more....