HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308 VS. 7mm-08
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
simo

Default RE: 308 VS. 7mm-08

ORIGINAL: LAbushman

I am looking to purchase a Tikka for my son for deer hunting in either of these two calibers and had a few questions. The Tikkais offered in a 22" barrel. I realize that the 7mm-8 is a necked down 308. Does either of these calibers benefit from a longer barrel than the other? Is there any down rangedifferences/benfits at 200, 300, 400yards? Is there any difference in recoil? Can you notice the recoil diffrencebetween these calibers and a 270?
I have a Tikka Lite in .308, and its the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, I reload using Hornady SST 150gr, this shoots into 5mm group at 200m, it will put 10 rounds of Nosler 125gr into 4mm group at 100m, this was rapid fire as well. The floating barrel is just magic, the action is smooth as. My son aged 12 shoots the .243 OK, so a Tikka in this calibre would be my recommendation. Just a note the Tikka Lite does kick a bit due to it's lack of weight, so if thats an issue, buy one of the other models that are bit heavier, but you cannot go wrong with the action and the barrel.