HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Over/Under thoughts.
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 01:47 PM
dmurphy317
Nontypical Buck

Default Over/Under thoughts.

One of these days I would like to get an O/U shotgun, mainly cause I like the idea and the looks of that style shotgun. I don't have much in the way of funds and can't justify spending a lot on a gun I would not be shooting a lot with.I have been checking out some of the lower priced models available in my area. Some of the ones that have caught my eye are the Kahn, Spartan and Mossburg O/U's that Big 5 sporting goods carry. The Spartan and Kahn are in the same price range ,<$500, and the Mossburg is around $600to $700.

My questions center around the design of the break open mechanism. The Spartan (made in Russia) has a pivot pin full width similar to older designed break opens.The Kahn and Mossburg (made in Turkey and apparently the same gun minus the Mossburg dress ups) has pivot points on each side but nothing tying them together. Which lock up would be stronger? Over time, which would be the strongest? Any other thoughts about these guns and which would be the better value.

My personal opinion is that the Spartan has the stonger action and would remain tighter over time but I'm use to the older designed break open guns. I don't have any experience with the newer designs.

I have shouldered all three and found I could use any of them but the Spartan sight picture was more natural for me. When I put the Spartan up with my eyes closed, then look down the barrel, all I see is the bead. When I put the other two up in the same way, I still see the rib leading to the bead but only need a slight adjustment to fix the sight picture. I'm sure I could get ued to lifting the other two slightly higher without much problem. I do like the look of the Kahn/Mossburg a little better than the Spartan and the K/M has a barrel selector built in to the safety that the Spartan does not have. The Spartan doesn't look bad, just a bit more utilitarian than the others.

So, anyone with any experience with these guns, pro or con?