HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Ifly

Default RE: Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

Other than sqereals, I've had two other animules that I can think of sqrew me up. One was a big diamondback rattle snake. Bout 25yrs. ago I was up a pine in Central fl. in my trusty Baker Climber and I kept thinking I heard something moving (could hear stuff like that back then) and finally I looked out across the pine flat and about 25yds. from my stand was a big ole rattlesnake..bout 6' and I think to myself..I got to walk out of here tonight and probably back in tomorrow morning and don't really like the idea of getting bit by a 6' diamondback. I always kept one dull broad head in my bow quiver for practice shots etc. so I decided I would take one shot and if I hit it good if not I'd let it go.
It was to this day the best shot I ever made..couldn't have got down and drew and X across the center of the back of his head and placed the arrow on it any better. He didn't even flinch at the hit..just stayed stretched out dead still. That is until about 4 does, 2 yrlings, a 4pt and 8pt. all came in around me and then for some unknown reason..my luck I guess..he started to wiggle. However..I managed to get the shot off at 8pt. but lost his blood trail in the water filled cypress heads.
Another time a couple yrs. ago I was rifle hunting some public land and had a buck come in behind me and had the cross hairs behind his shoulders just getting ready to pull trigger when all of a sudden all hel% broke loose. I saw just a blur of brown right under my tree streak to wards the buck and he hauled butt. I can only figure it must have been another buck slipped in and chased him off..it was so fast all I saw was a blur of brown...that's my luck..just puttin the squeeze on the trigger and that happened..what's the odds?