HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Most gobbles you ever heard???
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
ranchand99
Typical Buck

Default RE: Most gobbles you ever heard???

I have had that same thing happen several times.Last year on opening day for example I had roosted a bird the evening before,and the next morning I took my wife,and I had us set up within 100yds of him before daylight.Daylight came and he gobbled,and gobbled,and gobbled.He was gobbling every 20 seconds,and then tapered off to every45 secondsor so.She said it was very exciting to hear,and I told her it was nice to hear that,but it wasn't good for the hunting.I only called 2 times.Once about 5 minutes after the first gobble to let him know I exsited,and right before he flew down to a hen on the road.I knew he was going to fly down because she cut,and he answered,and then he shut up..I had set us up in the woods in the direction he had come from to go to roost.

Typical story..The hens took him away.[:@]Roosted ain't roasted 'ya know.[8D]If there are 2 birds and I hear a bird constantly gobbling I try not tobother him.(It is hard to move your whole set-up,and the wife though..)I will usuallygo tothe bird that gobbles once in a while,unless there are no other birds around.Then in mid-day I will go back,and try to get the loud mouth bird fired back up.It has worked for me several times.Also getting between a loud mouth,and a shy tom can work to your advantage.I will call a little,and then turn my calls toward the shy bird.Sometimes it will make the loud mouth bird jealous.I could be here all night,but I'll spare ya'll.

I agree Mr.Longbeard,but will add to your statement.Around here a bird could attract a hunter from a mile or better.[:-]Not to mention predators,and hens.[:'(]