HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - American Pioneer Powder
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder

Mike I shot a lot of American Pioneer Powder in loose form when it was called Clean Shot. I have shot off one pound of American Pioneer Powder since the name change in 3f form. In my opinion the only size to shoot off when dealing with American Pioneer Powder Company. I only shot off five pounds of Pinnacle 3f since it was introducded last year. The trouble with Pinnacle and me is, I enjoy shooting it so much that all of a sudden the jug is empty.

What I have discovered is that APP and Pinnacle made by APP are a very clean shooting powder. I do not have a chronograph but I find it in comparison to Pyrodex for down range thump. Some shooters expressed concern with the moisture absorbing ability of the powder. I personally have not found that the case. I even sat out in a snow fall with the entire pound jug of Pinnacle and shot all afternoon. I never noticed a problem with pouring, clumping, power, or ignition.

I think you might find it a good powder for your Omega. Especially if you live in a rather dry climate. I personally live in Wisconsin.. not known for being dry.

The one thing I found with both powders.. whether your rifle will do this I do not know, is that when the sabot and projectile got over 300 grains, the accuracy went down hill. When I was shooting lighter projectiles like the 240, and 250 grain the accuracy was excellent. In fact I sat at the bench on that day I was talking about and shot 12 T/C Mag Express 240 grain XTP's from my Knight Wolverine and never swabbed the barrel. After 5 patches, the majority of the rifle barrel was clean.