HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outfitter Gratuity
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 AM
BuckHollowRanch.com

Default RE: Outfitter Gratuity

We own Buck Hollow Ranch. We do not have a "no tip" policy, but tips are not brought up in any way at our place by us. Some places actually mention it on their websites or brochures, we dont.
Tipping (to me for what its worth) is something done if the customer feels they were given better than average service, or service they are much in appreciation for.
At our place you will be guided by an owner and I think at that point the owner got paid already in the price of the hunt. But we do have occasions where mulitple hunters in one booking come and we use a local person for a guide. (Such as the owner is with you and the local guide is with your brother or friend) That guide may get a tip at that point if the hunter so chooses to give one. Once again tips should be given and not expected.
We have noticed also that some hunters will tip the cook and lodge keeper. Again by choice and not by expectation.

To answer the original poster about how much to tip. In my personal opinion, tips have become expected in many industries. Resturants, hotel vans, taxi, and other transportation of people drivers, and other industries. I think its sad to think that a "tip" for good service has become the "standard". Because if there is a "standard rate" for a tip then the true meaning of the "tip" has gone away.
I have been in a resturant where all I ordered was maybe $5 worth of product, but the serviceAND the person providing the service was awesome, and in turn I left them$5. That would be 100% but who cares what the % was? IGAVE what I felt was right based on what I felt I got.
My opinion,
Roger