HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To all the Maryland Hunters
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 PM
G2 Shooter

Default RE: To all the Maryland Hunters

The deer at my friend's property in Lisbon seem to be the most vocal of any areas that I hunt. The bucks always respond to grunt calls there. I have tried it in other areas and the bucks don't even pay attention to me. The does seem to grunt with their mouths closed. It is a very quiet grunt. I only hear the bleats from young deer as well. I said that because DW said he had never heard deer before.
Everywhere I hunt, I have heard deer snort at me. That is a horrible feeling because you know you have been busted. If I am walking to me stand, I will try a low snort or grunt to try to make them feel at ease. I will either stop moving or sometimes I have bent over so I look like an animal in the dark. One time I crawled on all fours to within 30 yards of a young doe in broad daylight. I would do light grunts when she looked at me. I was just screwing around to see if it would work. I don't think it would work on an older doe or buck. If they snort at me in my stand, I just stay motionless.
The foot stomping thing is just to get you to move. They also put their heads down and pretend to eat or not notice you and then pick their heads up again. Just don't move when they are doing this.