HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need help!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
game4lunch

Default RE: I need help!!!

Are those hunt areas north a a little east of Casper?
I live in Cheyenne and am not sure if the same area numbers are used for non-resident regs.
I'll assume they are the same.
There is a wonderfull thing here in Wyoming, it's called: "Public Land".
In fact, the majority of Wyoming is public land. BLM, Nat'l Forrest, State sections. Get some maps of Wyoming that show property ownership, like the "Wyoming Atlas & Gazetteer" by DeLorme. It is an atlas of BLM maps. Very helpfull. BLM land is orange, State is blue, and Nat'l Forrest is green.
Maybe the areas you want have a lot of public land. The law is, that a land owner has to allow passage over his land to public land provided it is a publicly maintained road. Like a dirt county road. Very easy to access.
A very popular Antelope area is called Shirley Basin. LOcated north of I-80 west of Laramie and East of Rawlins. It is a huge area, is known for big bucks, and the G&F issue lots of tags (Which increases your drawing odds.) Looks like areas 42,46,47,48 would cover a lot or most of it. For instance, in 2005 they issued 1000 licenses for area 47! Maybe not all were drawn.
Before I forget, make sure and fill in the part of the ap that is called "Part Application Block". If there are 3 of you, it would say 1 of 3, 2of 3, etc. That way each ap is kept together so if one draws, you all draw!
Also, on the Wyoming G&F site there is a section called "Public Access".
In there are what they call "Walk in areas - Hunting", and "Hunter management areas". These are private lands that the owner allows hunting on. The walk in areas don't require permission, where the Hunter Management areas do. But you can apply on line. It's simple. They would just limit the number of hunters that way, so you have to get written permission and keep it with you.
The maps in that section are divided by county so it's easy to reference where you want to go, and whether there are any areas you can use.
Land owners have the right to dictate what species you can hunt. Some may allow goose & pheasant only. Others may allow Antelope, but not deer or elk. Just have to look at the individual areas rules.
Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Good luck.