HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

Default RE: Liberals want to ban hanguns in Canada!!

I'm a newcomer to Canada (native Vermonter marries French Canadian and moves to Quebec); but am baffled by everything I see and hear on this supposed gun control law.

1. I have yet to meet one person that can effectively argue the positive elements of this law.

2. I HAVE YET TO MEET ONE PERSON IN LAW ENFORCEMENT (INCLUDES CUSTOMS, FISH AND GAME, RCMP, LOCAL POLICE) WHO PUT ANY VALUE IN THIS LAW.

3. It's obvious there has been a significant lack of success with regards to the initial intent of this law.

All three of these items really don't surprise me much, but what does surprise me is that there has been no accountability taken or even acceptance that this law is a failure. The closest thing I can compare it to back in the States is Bush's current attempts to make the Patriot act permenant. As much as you want to argue it's effectiveness or lack thereof, he always has that trump card of you don't see it's true effectiveness aside from the absense of terrorist attacks since 9/11. With the Canadian gun control laws, the proof of it's lack of effectiveness is there (0% decrease on gun related crimes). I grew up learning in school that a parliamentary government provides greater flexibility to interchange the leaders.

Why is this so confusing for me to understand (aside from the Cliche)?

Cheers,