HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice On Antelope Hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Coastie John
Spike

Default Need Advice On Antelope Hunt

Here's the situation. I'm in Oregon sitting on 2 points for a goat hunt. I'm active duty militaryand will lose my residency status when I transfer back eastnext week. Oregons rules are to apply for hunts (or a pointsaver) you have to buy a hunting license first, then apply for the hunt (or just get the point). I can still get a resident license and point before next week ($27). The problem is I won't be ready to compete for a gooddraw unit for a few more years. So next year I'd have to buy a NR license at$76.50 and$4.50 for the pointsaver. That's a total of $81 each year till I accumulate enough points to be competitive for a particular unit. That could be about 4 years from now. It doesn't seem cost effective to commit to Oregon under their rule system.At 4 years that's $324, then if/when I do draw, the goat tag is currently $277. Ouch!!!!!

So my questions are:

1. Give up on Oregon? IMO having to buy a NR hunting license just to get a point ($81), thennot getting to hunt doesn't sit too well.

2. If I docut my losses with Oregon, what statesare not so harsh on the wallet?

3. What states have thehigher percentages ofdrawing tags?I've read some are 100% in certain areas. I'm not sure what to expect with that type of area though. Lots of flourescent orange dotsspeckled acrossthe horizon???

3. I'd prefer a DYI rifle hunt on public land or willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee for private land. I know the WY Wildlife folks put out a list of all the landowners that do trespass fees. Do any of the other states do that?

Thanks......John