HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Duck boats???????
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:47 PM
fechmupbud

Default RE: Duck boats???????

I hunt in Southern DE - and have a good friend in Hampton Bays who hunts and has a completely different rig than me - but here's my theory... I have a 14' (that I wish was 16 and even an 18) starcraft deep v aluminum with a 25hp evinrude. I dont like fiberglass because when running at night, say you hit something like a log, will it puncture the boat? I at least FEEL a little more secure in an aluminum. More importantly, aluminum is substantially lighter than a fiberglass boat. I run in tidal water and if I'm not really careful about my winds and tides and knowing what ditches I can run when, I can end up on mud flats where I had 4 or 5 feet of water earlier. My boat is a lot easier to push where I need to get it than any fiberglass ever could be. I safely/comfortablycan run with 2 guys, their gear, about 4 - 5 dozen heavy decoys, and my gorilla of a dog. If Icut back on decoys, more people on board. Ihave friends with 19 footers with 60hp tillers, but they can't run everywhere I can and as easily. It's all about trade -offs. In a perfect world - I'd wanta flat bottom rig with a go devil for the marshes and big water rig like my buddies.