HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need help selecting handgun.
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
AppleOnMyHead

Default Need help selecting handgun.

I know this topic has been addressed before, but I tried to seach and didn't find quite what I was looking for. I am very familiar with rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows, but I've caught the handgun bug and I'm ignorant in this field. I figured it was only a matter of time and my options for other weapons was growing small. I have a really great friend who is a gun freak and former gunsmith, but I wanted to make my own opinion before asking him because he is stubborn and I know he will try to persuade me to purchase what he thinks is best for me. He is older (about my dads age) and he is kinda like my second dad and I know he has my best interests, I simply want to educate myself and to form an unbiased opinion and then get his opinion to see if we agree.

My pistol will mostly be used in the back country during hunting and hiking and my main concerns are crossing paths, very closly, with the wrong person(s) or the wrong animal at the wrong time. Simply put, I want to be able to lay "it" down, whatever "it" may happen to be. I will probably try to get my CWP in the not to distant future, so if possible, I don't want a Dirty Harry.

I know different models among the same caliber are usually a preference among shooters. My main concern is selecting the right caliber and load, but feel free to suggest a particular model.

Also, I have carried a handgun on a couple occasions, and I favor the shoulder holster....if that even matters.

Thanks in advance.