HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody see this buck?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:29 PM
jcchartboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody see this buck?

OR....this is the real story.....

Cyber photos: A tangled Web indeed

06:51 PM CST on Saturday, November 26, 2005

Justin Feild learned a valuable lesson about the Internet this month. Feild guides whitetail hunters for the world-famous King Ranch. The King Ranch is an 825,000-acre Texas wildlife paradise, the sort of place that routinely produces huge bucks and occasionally yields a monster.

In 1998, King Ranch cowboy Adan Alvarez shot a 26-pointer that scored 229 4/8 Boone and Crockett non-typical points. It's the sixth-biggest non-typical Texas buck ever reported to B&C. In 1973, New Yorker Alexander Guest shot a King Ranch 12-pointer that scored 1944/8 typical B&C points, still the third-best typical in Texas history.

As a joke, Feild had a photo taken of himself with a client's nice buck. The wide-antlered deer had a small droptine and scored about 159 B&C. Like a fisherman holding his catch out toward the camera, Feild squatted well behind the deer to make it look bigger.

He then sent the digital photo to a handful of friends, along with an outrageous list of measurements that totaled 243 gross typical points.

"It was a joke," said a chagrined Feild, "but it got totally out of hand. Within two days, that e-mailed photo had traveled from California to Florida and everywhere in between. The day after I sent the original e-mail, I sent out an e-mail explaining it was just a joke, but it was too late."

Feild has seen various versions of his original e-mail. Some call the deer a new world record. Others make fun of a professional deer guide who missed a score by about 80 inches.

"I've gotten some interesting phone calls," Feild said. "I've learned a lesson about playing jokes on the Internet. It can get away from you real quick."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/s ...