HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter
Old 01-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Hemi

Default RE: How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter

great posts!

Magnum,

The plastic suit is a great idea! Will have to remember that one as a must in my pack. I usually carry some unscented soap and try to have a bath and wash my clothing after field dressing an animal but the suit would work great.

One other noteable encounter with a Grizzly was in an area near the Granby River. Grizzly refuge area. We hiked in 12 hours to base camp for mulie hunting. We ran into wet snow and heavy fog so we took refuge for the night in a vacant outfitters cabin. Not much more than an 10x10 plywood box with a tin roof and plywood floor. No windows,small chimny and the entire cabin was lined on the outside with tin siding. In the middle of the night a large Grizzly decided he wanted to join us in the cavin and proceeded to strip the tin off the building to get at us sardines! Amazing how powerful and persistant these bears are. Luckily for us the shack held together until daybreak and the bear decided to move on to other buisness. It was a long long night! Nobody wanted to sleep on the bunks against the wall! I just hope I keep being lucky!![:-]

A couple guys I know use an electric perimiter beeper in Grizzly country. Small loud device with a pull pin like a grenade. They use heavy fishing line and run a perimiter around camp at waist height and if something walks through the line it pulls the pin and a shrill high pitch alarm goes off to warn you of a breach in the perimiter. Anyone else try these?

Another buddy packs in a solar electric fencer and establishes a perimiter and has had great results in predator country.Anyone try this method?