HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter
Old 12-31-2005, 08:08 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter

I have had several run-ins with brown bears and grizzlies. I have never been charged or bluff charged. I did almost shoot a bear a couple of years ago but it was due to her camp robbing.

She was entering our meat stache and quickly ate her way through two caribou. She returned not finding anything left, and started rummaging through our camp. I would have left but the raft I had was only for crossing the river, and I would have never been able to float all of our gear and two guys down the creek with my raft.

Anyway, she became bolder and bolder, entered our camp every night, looking for food, and one morning I really almost shot her. I shot in the air twice with her at 30 yards. She finally left. Killed a moose the next evening and got flown out the next morning. The moose kill kept her out of camp and on the gut pile for a night, so things worked out okay.

Keep your meat about 100 yards from camp. Keep a clean camp. No food in the tent. No cooking in the tent. If you cook bacon, the grease goes in the creek. Finally, keep a painter's plastic suit in your backpack and use it when you gut and butcher game. It will keep your clothes clean, then you can just store it in a ziplock with your meat and keep blood smells out of camp.

Most of the time I really do not worry much about grizzlies. I keep a clean camp, pay attention to where I am going, and keep an eye out for sign. I do however, sleep with my .338 Ultra mag right beside along with my headlamp. Hunting in grizzly country is fun, it adds some excitment