HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter
Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Hunter_59
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many of you have had a dangerous Grizz Encounter

I've never had a dangerous encounter but while on my first elk hunt this year in the Thorofare at the SE corner of Yellowstone, I watched a grizzly chase a spike bull elk about 200 yards away. Man, am I glad that grizz didn't know we were there. Dirt was flying everywhere! The very next day, while watching from a ridge down into the Thorofare river valley, a helicopter came in and landed about a mile away. The story was that a hunter from another camp shot a bull the night before. A lone packer, big mistake, went in the next morning and found a grizzly on the carcass. Evidently the bear charged, he shot it with a shotgun and wounded it, but it still mauled him bad enough to be air evacuated.

I booked this hunt because of the presence of the grizzly. It sure does add another element to the hunt. I never felt more alert on a hunt as I did during this one. It was an awesome experience! Grizzly sign was everywhere. I hope Iget the chance to go back some day!