HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NEF Question
Thread: NEF Question
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 08:42 AM
MrWilson

Default RE: NEF Question

I got a NEF Stainless Sidekick for Christmas. I’ve taken it shooting a couple of times. It’s an awesome muzzleloader. It shoots great, light weight and easy to clean. It is a quality rifle made in the USA.
I had the same concerns about the Primer Carriers. I’m right handed and can easily prime the breech left handed with an insulated glove on. Picking up a primer, that isn’t in a carrier, with gloves is a pain. Taking primers on and off are no problem with carriers. I pre-prime the carriers.
The Primer Carriers direct the primer blow-by up away from my face and to the side of a scope. It makes for easy clean-up and prevents damage to the scope. It would keep the blow-by away from a lefties face also. I like the tab on the carrier for a better reason. It lets me see that the rifle is primed. Great safety feature or reminder on an “Did I put the primer on?”. I wouldn’t want an empty hammer ‘clack’ with a 400+ bull 20 yards away or even 200yards away.
http://www.hr1871.com/index.htm
I don’t know why they don’t have the Heritage on the H&R web-sight. If you click on the “Store” tab you’ll find the Offset Hammer Spur. It is great for cocking and de-cocking with a gloved or bare hand. It can be install left handed!!!!!!!!! If you put a scope on your Heritage, it is fantastic. As for the hammer being in your line of sight, it is well out of the way when you’re ready to shoot.
I’m ordering the Scope Base / Offset Spur combo. I’m still debating putting a scope on my Sidekick. I’ve hunted scoped and iron for years. If I change my mind some day I’ll want the rail base. This combo came with my NEF Superlight Handi-Rifle .243 Win. I put Leupold See-Through rings and like the extra room at the action.
Great Hunting.