HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 AM
wholelottagobble

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Where I live, if you could not bait, you wouldn't see many deer, hunting wouldn't be nearly as exciting, and way less people would hunt. While some would appreciate some "elbow room" in the woods, fewer hunters is never a good thing. If you hunt in a baited area, you know that while yes, there are exceptions, BIG BUCKS are generally not killed over bait, at least where I am. Baiting brings in the does and small bucks, and the big boys may visit, but almost always at night. I've taken maybe 6 bucks in the last 4 years and only 2 were in my bait pile feeding. Baiting brings in the does making it easy to harvest them. Also, for bowhunting, it helps present you with easier shots, and I know for me as a beginning archer, saved me having to take longer, more challenging shots on my first few deer. I realize that in a place with a good buck/doe ratio and clear bedding vs. feeding areas, it is much easier to set-up a stand along definite travel routes. Here the terrain is rugged andthere is NO AGRICULTURE for deer to feed on. Tobacco and Christmas Trees. Everything else is what the Good Lord put here. I wouldn't dream of baiting if I lived in Illionois orMissouri or Kansas, but here in the Western NC mountains, if you want afighting chance against the deer, its a necessity.