HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Gun to drop them down??
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
jhoffman

Default RE: Which Gun to drop them down??

I shot allot of deer since I started hunting and only had a couple drop in thier tracks. I grew up having to use a slug gun where I lived though - I used a 12 Gauge with 3" Magnum Federal Slugs - Thats about 1 once of lead smacking a deer at the average of 25 to 30 yrds - I just started being able to use a rifle where I hunt do to reg changes and I did drop a doe in her tracks with my .243 at about 75 yrds but I also hit her right dead center in the back of the head. Other than that I normally get a nice vital shot and have never had to track a deer more that about 50 yrds.

I had an uncle in ID drop an antelope at just under 700 yrds but that was a fluke - We went out hunting after his brothers funeral and found a nice antelope out near a watering hole that we just could not get any closer to and he got down in the prone position and let one rip - and we both just kind of looked at each other in amazement when it just fell over - couldn't belive he dropped it let alone hit it at that range but that is not something I would make a habit of doing - I try to keep it in the 200 yrd range.