HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
jf5

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

ORIGINAL: Phade

ORIGINAL: jf5

Well, I think that they are a goiod idea. I hardly think the change puts more pressure on the larger bucks. Some guys will shoot any legal buck they can, and if they only see spikes under A/R then they go deerless. Its just a matter of what they see first.

I and many others don't see AR as "trophy hunting". So many here seem to have a chipon their shoulder about "trophy hunters" ruining it for everyone.If you go tocamps in Sask or Ill, that have a true trophy restriction, they willhold off on bucks under say 130class.Trophy QDM and AR's are not the same. AR's a chance to allow at least SOME male deer to get by there first season. It does help increase the age structure of bucks. The only way to implement some restriction in state likeNY is too allow a hunter to count points on one side. Its not perfect, and yes, some promissing young bucks will be taken. But they have just as much chance to be taken without A/R.

Another thing I would like to add is a spike rule IS AN A/R!! 3" spikes to be legal is just as much an anter restriction as any. And if you want to get into "why should other hunters determine what a trophy is for others" Then why not doaway with the 3" rule and let the hunter shoot whatever he wants?? Button buck, doe ,spike, etc???
The 3" spike ordeal is not A/R. It has a long history in NY, and purpose.

And you can shoot whatever you want if you have the tags. How is that confusing?
It is an A/R. It requires a certian amouint of antler to be legal.

Nothing confusing. A tag to take antlerless deer does not come automatic with your purchase of a hunting license like a buck tag. You have to apply seperatlyand be chosen. They are also restrictedby numbers and applicable to certainareasby the agencies, which buck tags are not.