HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy varmint barrel...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Heavy varmint barrel...

The thicker the barrel the stiffer it is. This means less barrel movement when the bullet is traveling through the bore so your bullets exit the bore closet to the same spot in the barrels movement each time. All things being equal this translates to tighter groups and better consistancy.

A heavier barrel also takes longer to heat up when firing multiple rounds. This leads to longer barrel life and less "bullet walking" as the barrel heats up. However, it will also take longer to cool down if you do get it hot.

A lighter barrel is easier to carry from place to place but generally looses accuracy quicker due to heating up quicker.

My decision would be made with my intended purpose for the gun in mind. If I were going on prarie dog shoots where I would be stationary for long periods of time then the heavy barrel would win out. If I were going to need to be mobile with this rifle then a lighter weight barrel would win out.

If you want the best of both worlds get a heavy barrel but fluted. The flutes save weight, add rigidity to the barrel and aid in cooling due to the added surface area exposed to air.