HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scouting tricks and tips.
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM
GobblerTX

Default RE: Scouting tricks and tips.

Just go with your gut on that scent stuff, man...

I gathered my stuff up last fall...my fear was having touched it that my scent would be on the leaves etc... when I boiled it and that it would become pointless, but I didn't want to wash off the leaves etc... and let 'em dry because I didn't want to wash off any of their scents, but I think it worked, maybe use rubber gloves when handling it if it makes you feel any better...

It was shortly after season last year when I tested it out, though I had used it that whole season... I went to check one of the hog traps... I rounded the corner of the scendero, about 200+ yards from the trap and I could smell hogs, so I moved slow and quiet in an attempt to spot one or two that may have been in between me and the trap... anyway, the trap is about 5 yards into the woods from the scendero, so they can't really see you until you get within about 15 yards of 'em, plus their eyes aren't their strong-point... I got within 50-60 yards of that spot and I heard crashing up against the walls of the trap and squeals etc...there were 4 hogs in there and theysmelled me (one pig nose is enough, 4 is a smelling machine)... so I decided this would be a good time to try out that scent stuff I made for that season...

I puton the scentand went out there, followed the same pattern, wind had actually shifted and was not in my favor, butthey didn't react until they saw me, so I guess it worked...

Also I apply it heavily on my face, esspecially around the mouth, I hear that's where the majority of your scent comes from...