HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st time elk hunter questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
trouthunter

Default RE: 1st time elk hunter questions.

As Howler was saying, the temps should be fine, but weather is always unpredictable. Make sure you have good meat bags with you, and you may even want to de-bone your meat. Another good thing to have is some pepper. Pour pepper on the meat to keep off the flies and yellow jackets.

If you’re lucky to be near a creek, and temperatures get up there a bit, you can put the meat (already in meat bags) in plastic bags in the creek, then make sure to pull the meat out and hang it in the cool of the night.

Not knocking your genetics, but if you think you’re in shape that may not cut it. Be sure you’re in the best shape you can be. Hiking up to get a shot at a bull is one thing; packing out 500+lbs of elk meat, cape, and rack is another. So again, go with Howler on the advice of getting in shape. I learned that lesson the hard way personally. I thought I was in shape from a little hike I took earlier one season, I found out how much I wasn’t when I packed out an elk that late fall, and that was just a young spike elk.