HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Duckbutter48
Nontypical Buck

Default Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?

I've been reading a ton of posts here and really enjoy gettin info from everyone.
I've noticed that when many of you post about what bullets you use they are pretty heavy for the calibers they're in. Ex.. a 165 or 180 in a 308 or 30-06. I dont understand why you use such a heavy bullet. I use the lighter if not lightestbullets in any caliber I reload.
I used to be in a hunting club and was the guy who skinned/quartered the deer on the processing line. I got to see a ton of wounds and carnage by different bullets. I got to hear the stories of how far they ran or if they dropped right away. Most of the ones that dropped the guys had the lighter bullets and many of the deer that ran or had to be tracked were the heavier ones. I understand the heavier bullets penitrate further and leave an exit wound and blood trail but If I'm using a rifle Im not expecting to track a deer.

The lighter rounds give less kick and less of a rainbow effect which makes them more accurate.

The only drawback I've heard is they lighter/faster bullets ruin more meat which may be true to a point but if a deer gets away after being shot or just gets wounded with a heavier bullet how much meat does that save.

Lastly I've noticed the more I hunt the more I can't take the deer sufferingbefore they die. I am very confident that when I shootmy Nosler BT's anywhere through theboiler room its lights out,no second shot, no kicking and suffering, Ihave a hard time seeing that anymore.
This opinion is from my experiences hunting and in a hunting club Ive been hunting for about 20 years and have killed/seen many deer killed. Im not saying I know it all, just want tobe enlightened why Im wrong or let me knowmy thinking is correct.