HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heres My Buck from last weekend
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 PM
texhookem

Default Heres My Buck from last weekend

This past weekend I shot a nice old 8 pointer off of our lease and I need help resizing the pics. Heres the story.

I am 15 years old first off, and this past year my dad got us on a new lease down in south texas in Webb county. The whole lease is 12,000 acres on the la mesa ranch which is 72,000 acres (no high fences for all you yankees that are gonna make that comment) but there are 11 other guys on it so my dad and I hunt a 1100 acre pasture. Our rut generally starts right around the 15th of december every year but most of the big deer havent started running any does for some reason. I had seen this particular deer a number of times this season and he was unique in that he had a white spot on his shoulder so I gave him the name "spot". I had seen a mature mid 140 class 9 pointeron the first day of my huntand I regret not takinghim but supposedly the ranch hand had seen a big 11 pointer near one of our blinds so I was gonna hold off for him. But after 4 days of hunting and with this being my last weekend to hunt for the year this would be my last chance for a buck. The first few days I saw several nice deer, but they were all too young and our lease has a strict management policy of letting all our bucks reach maturity, meaning 5 1/2. Two days into our hunt one of the men on our leasetook a 168 class 9 pointer which actually was about to be culled last year, but thats another story, a picture of the deer can be seen at http://www.loscazadores.com/contest/2005/D1/9pt.htmlso I was excited to say the least. It looks a hell of alot bigger in real life than in that picuture which does it no justice. On the third day the deer just were not moving so I was getting frustrated. A man with a blind only 800 yards from ours took a 250 pound deer, which for these parts is a hog, but the deer only scored as an 11 pointer in the 140's. With that big 11 pointer Joe had told me to hold out for not showing up I was getting anxious. I decided I would take the next decent mature deer thaqt showed himself. This particular day started off misting with temperatures in the high 30's which is cold for a Texas boy. As the sun rose I saw a dark figure running does up and down the sendero our blind overlooks and I knew then it was a mature deer. After the sun rose there was no sign of the deer and I was pretty bummed. At around 9 o' clock I saw a doe run across the road and sure enough "spot" was chasing her and he didnt look like he was gonan slow down. I whipped out my grunt call and let out a loud grunt but spot didnt even slow a bit. As he was about to reach the brush he stoppped for about5 seconds to rub his glands on a mesquite tree and then i dropped him with one shot from my 300 win mag remington 700. We waited 5 minutes and then approached the deer who seemed completely dead and I tapped him with my gun and he didnt move. My dad then grabbed his antlers and the deer kicked it legs and shoot its head violently. I then shot it once more iwth my pistol (45 auto) and then he was dead. He may not be the biggest deer but I am proud of him because I worked hard for this one, all summer buildling blinds and clearing roads and filling feeders in 107 degree south texas heat.

He is estimated to be over5 1/2 years old has 5 inch bases on both sides andscores 133 2/8 with a 14 1/2 inside spread and one 12 6/8 inch g2 and one 13 1/8 inch g2. 205 pounds on the hoof, 166 pounds field dressed

Now if anyone can help me resize the pic it would be appreciated.