HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st time elk hunter questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
AppleOnMyHead

Default 1st time elk hunter questions.

First, the place we are looking at for hunting has average temps of 54 – 33 for the time of year that we are planning on going. If one of us was to kill an elk early in the week, what needs to be done to preserve the meat? I know lots of meat is aged, but it is aged at temps just above freezing. Will storing the meat in a cooler with ice suffice for up to a week?

Second, I have killed too many whitetails to count on my hands, however, the wall hangers have always escaped and I have a ton of experience skinning a deer, but none with capeing. Is it hard to cape, or just time consuming? If it is not that difficult, does anyone have any links, steps, or tips they can give? I could easily get the cape to the base of the skull if better left to a professional from that point, but what would I need to do to preserve the skull and hide until my return home?

Also, I have a general plan for the area and time we will be hunting, but neither I nor my hunting partner has ever been elk hunting. I spoke with one of my friends who has been twice and he has had luck, but experienced advice is always welcome. I am open to any quality information one may have, not simply limited to the questions above.

BTW, we will be muzzle loading or rifle hunting.