HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Darn 243's and Magnums
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Darn 243's and Magnums

Good post James. I guess that's why there are as many cartridges out there as opinions. I killed a ton of deer with my .243 over the years and a lot with my 270. None of these deer knew the difference. My current chambering for deer is the 7mm-08.
I have no problem with guys using mags. as long as they can handle them. Shot placement is the key to sucessfully harvesting an animal.
I too have a cartridge that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and that's the .308 Win. Yeah I know a lot of guys swear by it but, at least in my experience, did not perform up to its reputation. I had 2 rifles in this chambering and both were accurate but performance on game left something to be desired. Using the 243 and the 270 I was used to seeing my deer fall were they stood but not with the 308. I got these deer but they always ran off. I also lost a big black bear using this cartridge. I saw my 4 rounds of 180 gr 308s hit the running bear in the chest because he was water soaked from a night of pouring rain. I undoubtly would have recovered this bear but unfortunately he went about 150 yds into another hunter. Since then I have killed bear with 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 45-70. The farthest any have gone was a big boar hit with the 45-70 and he only went 30 yds.