HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Darn 243's and Magnums
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default Darn 243's and Magnums

Got your attention? This year at the deer camp since none of us had grown any younger, The talk got back to hunts of yesterday and the hunters now gone from the bunch. Talk about deer rifles and bullets and all that stuff brought me to realize that just a few things from the past can start a pattern, at least in a guys mind. I have had very little trouble getting deer to go down in a pretty good hurry. However most of the times that I remember having trouble, involved the 243 and less than spectacular results. Many of the group has had a little trouble with Ballistic tip bullets and in their mind the ballistic tip is just not a deer bullet. Same for the Corlokt. Many swear by it and a few swear at it. A few or even very few things like this starts to form a pattern. The old "Magnums blow up way to much meat" always enters the arguement even though its obvious that poor shot placement is the cause regardless of caliber. The worst I ever blew a deer up was with a 145 grain Speer hotcore from a 280. One fellow has killed his deer every year since befor I was born with his Model 94 Winchester. Well he is patient and never gets in a hurry and knows the land and deer habits better than the deer do. To him the 30-30 is the best deer gun ever made.

I got down on the 243 and maybe I always will be. However every year thousands of hunters get their deer with the 243. Anyone else develope any patterns like this or is it just me?