HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any big bucks around chicago??
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 12:09 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: any big bucks around chicago??

There are plenty of really good sized bucks "around Chicago". I know the areas well. There's a piece of property right down my road that is getting developed right near where the new Bass Pro Shop is going to be in spring. The way they've put the new boulevard thru the farmer couldn't get in and take the corn down so there's acres of standing corn. I need to ride the ATV over there and scope it out for sign. It shouldn't be too hard with the snow on the ground. I"ll bet there's a few does and a good buck or two shacking up in that corn and I could maybe pull one out with my bow.

I just put my friend Brian on another piece of property near the White Fence Farm resteraunt on Joliet Rd.. He took a real nice 9 pointer out of it this last Friday afternoon. I'll try to post some pics of it later. There's plenty more around there, too. We have til Jan 1 to hunt it and then new owner (developer) takes over property. I don't know if he'll let us in there after Jan 1. I asked and haven't gotten a response. But I have permission on two other pieces of land over there so all is not lost.

The biggest deer I ever had a chance to harvest was near the old (now gone) Sante Fe Speedway near 91st & Wolf Roads. He was a BIG bodied, HUGE racked guy (14+ points?). He came by when I was standing by the front of my truck calling it a day. I thought the afternoon's hunt had went south because I heard alot of "noise" and thought there might be some kids running around somewhere so I was calling it a day.

I had set my bow on the hood and was having a bottle of water when I could see something moving along the tree line. I thought it might be the kids and I was going to tell them to stay out of there. Then I make the siloutte - it's a deer, a big deer. So I knock an arrow and wait. As he comes into the clear I can see him perfectly and he doesn't notice me - 25 yards. I was drawn on him as he came into the clear but was sticken with a very severe case of buck fever.

By the time I regained my senses he had moved behind some brush and I had to quietly let off. As he came out from behind the brush he looked right at either my truck or me all the while chewing grasses.

When I tried to finish drawing he stomped and blew, quickly turning and running off, blowing the whole time. Imagine the words going thru my mind (and out my mouth). I stayed out of there a good while but returned to hunt him other times. I never saw him again, just the damage he had been inflicting on the trees.

Yes there are big deer around here. Without being too specific, where about is the property you are refering to?