HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I dunno .............. how do you guys do it ??
Old 10-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Hobbes

Default RE: I dunno .............. how do you guys do it ??

Hey Stealth,
I haven't taken the first shot at an animal with a recurve, but I think the principles would be the same as with any bow. Practice, of course, should condition you to be capable of physiacally making the shot if you shoot only within your limits. But, a huge part of making the shot on an animal is mental. It has taken me a while to try and overcome that part of bowhunting. I still don't have it mastered but I am at least to the point where I don't picture myself blowing an opportunity any more. If I have a whitetail within my effective range, I am confident that I can kill him now. I know that would probably not be the same for me with my recurve because I am not confident in my shooting ability, but once I am, I don't think it will be a problem if the deer is in my range. I guess my main point is that some people have a very hard time overcoming the mental part of making the shot, call it buck fever or whatever.