HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Hotguns
Spike

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

For one thing, I wouldnt recomend firing buckshot through and extra full turkey choke. I've seen several of them trashed out by shooting buck though them, they are just too tight. I'm not doubting you or the shot, you just got lucky. Ive got a few custom chokes that specifically warn not to shoot buckshot or slugs printed right on them. FWIW...Ive got an 835 and have killeddozens ofturkeys with it.

A 15 year old hunter ought to be capable of shooting at least a .243, which many people consider marginal for deer. I've helped several people track deer that have been shot with a .243 that werent recovered. The .223 is too light and not even legal to hunt deer with in many states.

Ill be the first to admit that even the pipsqueak .32 is better than NO gun at all. However, in the last few years, concealable guns in major calibers have come a long way when it comes to concealabilty.No sense inhandicapping yourself with a minor caliber.

I saw the Coates tape and all I can say about that is it was his time to go.An unfortunate tragedy to say the least.That .22 killed him as dead as any other caliber could have.

I dont think anyone was "offended" by what you had to offer. I know I wasnt. It just seems that some of your advice is contrary to good sense occasionaly.