HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather miracle plant
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Default Cold weather miracle plant

Since I trust the opinions and experiences of this forum I have a question for you experts. I am trying to find something to plant (approximately 1.5 acres) that will attract & hold deer, with a high nutritional value for increased racks & body weight, but is extremely durable and an excellent cold weather attractant. I live in Southern Michigan. Also, something I do not have to plant every year would be nice.
I realize 1.5 acres is not a lot of land for a full managementplan on rack and body sizes, butI have to start somewhere. I tried Imperial Extreme last year. Not bad results, but it was very dry for a couple weeks after planting and I feel this may have hurt. The deer hit the clover hard throughoutthe summer, but since the snow has covered the ground there has been very little activity in the plot.
In the fall I love to hunt hard hoping to just glimps a few deer, but the opportunity for a trophy buck.After Thanksgiving when the winter snows and cold hit, I want to see deeralmost every time I sit in the stand (even though I usually do not shoot them)to help keep me warm.
I have always used corn and spin feeders, but I wouldlike to help the deer on a more nutritional level as well. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions and I appreciatein advance the answers.