HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 magnum rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 AM
LIAF
Fork Horn

Default RE: .44 magnum rifle

Chazy I am assumming that your from NYS and this is where the changed from shotgun to rifle took place for you. Ok, here is my take on the .44 mag in a rifle. I had a Ruger .44 (last model year 1986?) bought usedin 1992. It was a great short distance gun for me. I kept my shots w/i 75-80 yards andthe 3 deer I took with it dropped in their tracks. The farthest shot I took was about 110-115 yards. I did it cause thetrail the deer used that opening morning was further away than I anticipated. I decided to shoot the 4th deer that came thru since I did have a rock solid rest and it fell in its tracks. I had to give it a follow up shot as it wasn't dead when I reached it. I used 180 grain bullets not the 240 grain ones. My friend's dad had an original .44mag from the early 60's and he was quite happy with the gun. It's a great gun if you are walking and pushing heavy bush but if I was stand hunting and chances were good the shot would be over 100 yards I would stick with the .270 that you have in your possesion. I just traded away my .44 mag for a vexilar for ice fishing. The guy that wanted it still hunts up in 6P and to him it was the perfect gun once NYS changed from shotgun to rifle in that region. The original reason i purchased this gun was the lightweight and I assummed it would be good for a women if I ever got married(which still hasn't happened). I hope this helps you in deciding what to use next time out.