HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hanging deer how long?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:52 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hanging deer how long?

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

thanks you guys for the info, I shot the deer i spoke of during the regular shotgun season, I will try again when the late ML season comes in. Also All the deer I have shot have been with a bow so the trama to the meat is little or none. but man the hornady sst really messed up alot of meat in the shoulder area. Do any of you go for neck shots because of this, or should i just get used to discarding the meat? This bp forum catagory seams like it has a real good group of regulars in it and am enjoying lots of reading
congratulations on the deer. While granted a muzzleloader can mess up a little bit of meat, I personally only shoot for high percentage shots. I like the heart and lung area. When you shoot for the neck, you take a chance of missing some vital area. And since you have no follow up shot, you need to make sure the shot you take, plants them. So again, while a neck shot is fine, and I have made them, I still take high percentage shots to the heart and lung area. Throw away the blood meat. And be happy you have a lot more venison to eat.