HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Load for Colorado elk and Black Diamond
Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Roskoe

Default RE: Load for Colorado elk and Black Diamond

I have used a Black Diamond for Colorado elk hunting for the past four seasons with good results. I have both the 26" and 22.5" versions. Since we have to use conicals and loose powder during the regular MZ season, a lot of the loads discussed on this board are not in consideration.

A large sporting goods store near here (Shootin' Den in Colorado Springs) reports that the #1 MZ load for elk out here is the 348 gr. Powerbelt AT ahead of 95 to 105 grains of 2F Triple 7.

I am personally using a 410 Hornady Great Plains conical with a MMP Ballistic Bridge sub-base, and charged with 120 grains of 2F Triple 7. My hunting buddy used this same load with 110 gr. of Triple 7. Anotherfriend uses it with 130 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. We have killed some elk with this bullet, and have confidence in it.

In the Black Diamond, I prefer the musket caps. The setup on this gun for the 209's is a bit cumbersome (at least for me) to load/unload. There is some discussion on this issue from last week - sounds like a regular #11 in the RWS 1075 might be worthy of consideration as well. These are pretty water proof, as are the musket caps.