HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - We speak of long range in here so.....
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: We speak of long range in here so.....

ORIGINAL: James B

I was a hunting guide for quite a few years. As I stated on another post, not one hunter out of ten can hit a deer at 300 yards with any consistancy. A deer is a pretty small target at 300 yards and very little error in range estimating or the slightest wiggle will cause a miss by yards at that range. Most hunters can connect at 200 yards most of the time on a still target with a good rest. I would be suprised much more if the average hunter could hit a deer at 300 yards than if they couldn't. This is just the plain hard fact.
I agree, I had a tough time freehanded (kinda leaning on my tree) shooting last week 90 yards. There was alot of limbs and twigs in the way, but still waited until I had a little 6" patch to shoot thru. I did connect. But I have learned the hard way in Canada that 500 yard shots are tough. Too many varibles with wind, elevation, shooting uphill, downhill.

I still yet have had the oportunity to be in my tree stand, with my nice gunrest, and have a deer run in front of me 300 yards. Usually they are right up on me within 100yards. But if the opportunity comes upbroadsided, I will take the shot.