HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Rootsy
Fork Horn

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Gun Season Reports

got back from Iron River late saturday night... little chilly BRRR.. thermometer said a paltry -12 F about 3 am saturday morning when we woke up remembering we shoulda switched that propane tank out... ooopsie... had almost a foot of wet snow when we got there on the 19th and another 8 - 10 inches of lighter stuff on top of that when we left on the 26th

Saw a LOT of BIG doe and most had twins with them.. one had triplets for sure... a few loners... too bad i was a day late getting to buy a private land doe permit... why iron river is in 036 i;ll never know... there are way too many doe...

saw a number of decent 2 1/2 year old bucks... oddly enough i didn't see a single spike or fork... hunted all week and decided friday to take a 6 or bigger since 3 1/2 + seemed to be nocturnal... only chance i got friday (figures) was a small 6 (bout 14 outside spread maybe) without brows running some doe and he refused to come out of the tag alder and wasn't presenting me anything but a pooper shot... so he lived to see another day...

heading up there were A LOT of nice deer heading east and south.... lot more than in previous years... some with impressive headgear...

so i guess i'll have to head out with the revolver or the muzzle loader and see if i can put a doe or two in the freezer before christmas...

next year should be pretty good in our area up there... we and most of our neighbors have been practicing QDM on our own and it seems ot be working with some different food plots and leaving them undisturbed.. now if we could get our boner neighbors on the other side to do the same and not ride all over gods creation on those blasted ATV's at all hours of the day maybe we'd be doing better... last i knew you were only allowed to WALK on CFA... maybe someone needs to remind them eh.... or keep em on their own property...

J