HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we really better off as hunters today?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:20 AM
dog1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are we really better off as hunters today?

Tang.,
I read your post and all that followed it. Same problems here in Ga. with posted land,all the gadgets, food plots, money, etc.

I just got back off an 8 day camp/deer hunt with my son-in-law. Did something I swore I would never do again, we hunted a WMA, haven't been on one since 1976. We went by boat and set up camp, only saw two boats with fisherman on our way to set up camp and never saw another sole the rest of the time. This was more of a learning the area deal than taking a deer.

We did not see a deer the entire trip, lots of signs. We scouted and hunted. I also did some squirrel hunting. We would hunt the mornings and fish the afternoons. We had a ball! On our last day the boat got swamped and we had a problem on our hands but delt with it.

Afterwe gotthe boat taken care of and got on some dry clothesmy son-in-law said he couldn't believe what happened and mixed us a drink and he doesn't even care for liqour. I told him yeah, but think what a story he would have to tell his grandkids one day.

My point is, other thanthe squirrels I shot and the fish we caught, I think we had a great time. We didn't take deer stands, hunted from the ground, all I took was my old 30-30, didn't take a newer scoped version. Didn't see another person for 8 days, couldn't even hear an automobile and all this was on state run land. We ate good, slept good, and hunted as we wished. Did we have to kill a deer to be successful, not at all. Now he wants' the two of usto go elk hunting somewhere out west. Will we be disappointed if we don't get an elk, don't think so. Geting back to basic hunting means a lot.

My basic two cents worth.
dog1