HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing wrong?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Virginiashadowhunter

Default RE: What am I doing wrong?

"Today I headed back around 9 am, cold, bored, and somewhat disgusted with my luck."

A the P, I will tell you something. I understand the statement that you made, I used to do it a long time ago, leave out only after a couple of hours because I was frustrated. Let me tell you this, with anything else in life, you must work HARD to enjoy success. Next time you have that feeling to leave, bring in some good food, a book, whatever to stay on stand, all day if possible. Try to develop an inexhaustable work ethic, that is something that will take you a long way in your development as a hunter in general.

Here are some basic things I learned on my own over the years from trial and error....especially in heavily hunted areas:

1) Get in early, like 1.5 hours before sunrise
2) Find entrance routes that don't cause you to bump deer
3)If you have to walk in a mile to hunt to get 400-500 yards from other hunters, do it, even if you have to deveop a physical fitness plan to get in better shape
4)Scent control is a must
5)Play the wind correctly
6)Keep a positive mentality at all time
7)If you feel like you are hunting a wide open spot with huge shooting lanes, the deer probably feel vulnerable as well and generally will not be in that location...if that causes you to hunt in a spot where you can only see 30 yards all around, then hunt it, the deer feel more secure
8)make sure you have a good background if you are hunting in a tree, especially when the leaves have fallen off

I can think of a lot more, but I think those things I just mentioned can help you right away...keep asking questions on this thread and we will help you as best as we can.

Vashadowhunter