HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Rug?
Thread: Deer Rug?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Deer Rug?

I paid to have mine done a few years ago. I think they charged me around 20 to skin it. Which is a bunch of crap because I found out they skin them all and the send the hides in and then sell them. So they charged me to do something they were going to do anyway. Then they send them all at the same time to a plant or something that does them. I shot mine in the middle of november and got it back in the summer. Cost me 80 bucks and it was all chewed up in spots on the back. They said that wasn't from the them (processor), it was from the way they tanned them because they use a machine. I said I didn't care who's fault it was, I am paying YOU the money.

So all said and done it cost me about 100 bucks, I didn't like the quality and it still kind of sheds hair. So I wouldn't use it for rug if you wanted to last for a long time. I use it to cover a foot locker, but it will eventually end up on the wall. I want to use it for a back drop for a gun rack.

Maybe an actual taxidermist would do a better job, I don't know. I know the next time I want one I will research it and do it myself to see how it comes out.

Paul