HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - help needid with calculations
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 07:45 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help needid with calculations

ORIGINAL: y_not5

here is the deal, I cant figure out how to use ballastic calculators, I would like to know what my load is preforming at, if I should up it, or what just general info energy,high roughly at certain yards etc, here is the load I am shooting and currently sighting in.. 2 triple7 50 grain pellets, 209 primer (kleenbore and regular),hornaday 250 sst, and TC 250 shockwave , out of a 26" barrel sidekick..if there is any info I am forgetting in order to come up with the calculation please let me know, my main intrests are POI's amd energy at longer ranges, I got nice groups at a 100 yards this weekend I am gonna try punching some longer shot on paper but want to know if its worth cause if I dont have the power to knock a deer down over 150 yards then no use practicing it...yes I know its a tough shot, shooting long range with a ML, but I practice a great deal now (I am bitten by the BP bug) and am shooting several times a week now so practice is not an issue..
There is a basic problem in trying to provide you with a good answer because all rifles are individuals, and yours may or may not provide close to expected muzzle velocities with the powder and bullet combinations you are using. In other words, unless we know the ACTUAL MV of your loads, we can't calculate probable downrange results, and neither can you.

What you have to do to get the answers you want is one of two possible alternatives:

A: Chronograph the performance of your load - get the real MV!, then use the charts. or,

B: Shoot your gun using the load you chose at all ranges within which you are willing to take a shot at a game animal, and SEE where the bullet strikes when the gun is zeroed as you have chosen to sight it in.

Either way, you'll have to burn some more powder!

(I believe the load you are using now will give adequate terminal performance on deer out to at least 150 yards, IF it hits them in the right spot!)