HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best long range deer caliber
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: Best long range deer caliber

ORIGINAL: cmscat50

....and how can we say no such thing as knockdown power??? Are you telling me a 180 grain bullet traveling the same velocity as a 130 grainwill have the same effect on a target??? I think not...but I could be wrong??? It makes sense to me that the 180 grain bullet will create much more energy in Ft/lbs on a target than a 130 grain at the same speed.

Our 270's were working fine this weekend. We managed only a 149 inch 8 pionter.
I don't think anyone would dispute your statement, there no doubt is a difference in the power delivered to the tissue of the animal. It has to do with the size of the slug, the power behind it, and also the construction of the bullet.

But the real question, to me is, what is the effect on the animal or how you hunt it, assuming the proper choice of the type of bullet? Since I'm one of those who called "BS" on some of your previous statements, I just want to repeat that in the range you were talking about in an earlier post (200 yards), there are a lot of guns, non-magnums and magnums, that will perform exactly the same for hunting - in terms of where/how you aim (dead on the "kill zone") and their effective killing or knock down power (plenty, more than you need for a quick kill). You later clarified your statements by bringing in the longer distance of 300 yards. You're right, this is probably more on the lines of what the original poster wanted to know about. In my opinion, it is at that range that the cartridges separate themselves and I agree with you there.

If I were concerned about killing my whitetail or moose at 300 yards and beyond instead of 150 to 250 yards, I'd probably invest inat least a 300 win mag, over a .270 or 30-06. I don't personally think the 7mm mag or a 270 short mag would give me enough difference to justify it. Yes there would be a difference in the charts, but not enough in the field to justify it. However, if I currently owned one of those (a 7mm or .270 mag), I certainly wouldn't replace it with a .270 or 30-06 for ballistics reasons, because I think they are both excellent all around cartridges like the .270 and 30-06.

My old 30-30, my nephew's 7mm 08, my friends'.270's, .308'sand 30-06's,and my brother's 300WSM allworked great this season- killing nicevariety oflarge and small moose and deer. They all ended up at orvery nearto where they were hit, their eyes turned to X's and their tongues hanging out. Looking at the bullet holes and hearts and lungs, I couldn't tell the difference. Seeing what the animals did after hit, I sincerely couldnot tell any difference in knock down power.But we shoot at less than 250 yards because (1) that's what the land provides and (2) we're not competent marksmen beyond that.

Don't you wish we were out hunting instead of arguing something we probably agree on anyway?