HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - butchering tips
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: butchering tips

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll tell ya what. I've been getting ripped over the years[:@]. I got a ton of meat off the doe that I did! I don't think there was an ounce of good meat wasted when I was through.I like being able to cut the steaks the way I want them too. I compared my butchering to the 200+ pound buck I had done this year and it was laughable. The whole process was actually rewarding and kind of fun.

A couple more questions:
After I skin and butcher the deer, how long can I wait to trim and cut the meat to a finished product? After I cut all the meat out I can store it in a spare refridgerator. Can I pick away at it and cut it into steaks as I get time? How long can it stay refridgerated?

How picky should you be with the trim? It seems I could have spent the rest of my life cutting away fat and talo on a lot of the pieces. Some of the fatty/stringy pieces of trim would clog up my meat grinder pretty bad. The second batch I was a little less selective about what I put through the grinder. I still ended up with a ton of ground beef. Is it worth the time cutting out every piece of scrap?

And on another note...get a vacuum sealer. I've had venison last 3+ years in the freezer aftervacuum sealing...
That's EXACTLY what I need. Seems like that would make life a lot easier.

I hear the tenderloin or backstraps on big bucks (like the pic you posted) can be very tough [:'(]. So, if you don't want to eat any of that "tough stuff", I'm holding my hands way high .
LOL those are loooooooooooooooooooooong gone my friend.