HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun and Ammo report
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default Gun and Ammo report

I finished the first week of deer season. I filled six of my eight mule deer tags. I used a new 270 rifle this year. Its a 700 Remington ADL synthetic rifle. I didn't have time to work up reloads as I just picked this gun up. I used the new Federal FUSION loads in 130 grain. The shots ranged from one at 50 yards to one at 225 yards. The Federal loads worked so well that I may not even bother to reload for this rifle. They grouped onder one inch and clocked at 2878 fps. The all exited the deer and did plenty of damage without a bunch of excess meat damage. On the lung and heart shots, I had entrance holes about the size of a quarter and exit holes about the size of a tennis ball. I am sold on these bullets for deer and I think they would work very well on Elk as well. Federal and other reports that I have read recommends them for deer and elk.

While I am not a big fan of Leupold, the VX-l scope that I mounted on this rifle has performed very well in every catagory. The new rifle fed and performed without a flaw of any kind.