HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hawken unfinished kit
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hawken unfinished kit

for rifleing choices its all upto what you want......if you want a roundballs shooter and want to shoot roundballs...a slower 1:48, 1:60 ect are good...1:48s may also shoot conicals pretty good....faster like 1:32 and 1:28 ect are better with bullets and sabots...both guns are kinda traditional..hawkens been around the block a few times....the new ones come with brass......not many came with brass when they were original....it was steel back then i believe i read somewhere..a breech plug is the plug in the rear of your barrel...guess it takes the rearward force of your charge....most traditional rifles have non removable breechplugs....gunsmiths can install and remove them if EVER NEEDED...like a serious stuck projecttile or something bad...but dont touch it yourself....seems that you may want to buy a rifle and get familiar with it first...see if you like it..learn how they work and together ect...then down the road build one.....once you get hooked youll look into building a REAL rifle...with the best lock stock and barrel you can find....and build it based on history...or how you WANT it to look.....or a mix.....kit guns would be fun but really...theres not much work to be done....i baught a used TC hawken and did as much work as the kit takes...id say you need to buy a finished gun to play with for a while first...youll be hooked in no time....i shoot a flintlock..its a blast...i love to just go out and blast away...youll learn how the gun works and how the parts go together ect when your cleaning ect......good luck