HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Messed up....again!!
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 11:07 PM
spde911

Default Messed up....again!!

Opening morning of gun season, I go out with plans to set up my ground in an area that I think deer might be walking. This is the first year for me to hunt this land and it hasn't been hunted before that I know of (at least not in my lifetime). Anyway, I messed up in bow season climbing out of my stand, took a couple of steps and two deer took off blowing like crazy. It had been about 5 days since I've been back to the area, wanted it to cool off a bit since I spooked them. Anyway, didn't have much luck sitting in the ground blind. Didn't see anything. I decided to to some walking to see if I could kick something up. This is only the third year I've been hunting and I've never shot a deer on opening day. I got my first deer last year on the last day of gun season and got a decent buck this year during early bow season. After scouting around for about an hour and not seeing anything, I decided to give my stand a try. After sitting in the stand for about two hours and not seeing anything, I was begining to get bumbed out. Then all of the sudden I hear something running through the woods. Turn to see what's coming and see a doe running right at me. I get up to get a better position and start wondering, how am I going to stop this deer. Now I've seen many hunting shows where they do a mouth grunt or sound or people have told me to whistle or make some sort of noise. I give this long mmmaaaaahhhhhh sound and she stops in her tracks only a few feet from the bottom. I didn't have a whole lot of time to make a decision so I decided to shot. Had a nice quartering away shot, should have been an easy shot, but I blew it. I hit the ground right beside her and she was long gone after that. I know that if I would have had my bow she'd be in the freezer now. Guess I need to practice with the rifle a bit more. Needless to say, I didn't get a deer on opening day of rifle season again. I took the rifle out this morning to see if the scope was off or if it was just me.....turns out it was just me[:@]! I think I rushed the shot. That's ok though, I won't get to hunt this area again probably until the last day of rifle season and I can still hunt with my bow for the rest of the year. We'll see what happens. I'd rather bow hunt anyway.....thought about not even taking the rifle out this year, I just enjoy bow hunting a lot more.