HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on helping new hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 10:50 AM
MThunter

Default Need advice on helping new hunter

So I was asked to play guide and take out my friend who has only hunted a grand total of twice in her life. I was happy to do it and we were both excited to go. Well we are out yesterday and a doe and a fawn come across this hill side, followed by a a good sized spike. Well she will shoot any legal deer, I get her sat down, bi-pod out, 150 yards, and she can't seem to get on the deer. He is almost out of site, and then all of a sudden a really nice 4 point (what apparently is called an 8 point in the east and mid-west) walks out across the hill side so we let the spike go and get on him.Again, 150 yards, bi-pod out, and she just can't seem to get the scope on him. I stopped him 3 times but it was just too much for her and he finally escaped into the trees.

Well I don't have a whole lot of experience with in-experienced hunters. I tried to calm her down by telling her to take her time and breath deeply. But I'm so used to see the deer, throw the gun up, take the shot kind of hunting that I really didn't have much to say beyond that. I mean the shot was perfect and I don't really know how to get her a better one. We're going again Tuesday morning, so what can I do better in this situation? I don't want to rush her, and we both had a blast anyway, but she really wants to get one and I want to do everything possible to get that done.